Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Week two

Here I am at the start of week two. At this point I have learned more about HTML, wikis and blogs in general. I've been taking advantage of the UW-Madison DoIt student software training courses. I'm sure there is much more to learn, but at least now I can start looking at HTML code and figure out in some ways what it is saying. I've also learned a little bit more about how to write in a wiki format.

At this point I need to establish some concrete goals that I can accomplish before the end of the semester. It is so easy to be distracted by all the diversions offered by the Internet, so some definitive projects should give me something to focus on. I am going to keep poking around in wiki sandboxes and start trying to format and post a paper I wrote on the Mongolian Knowledge Society on the ACMS site. This article can act as a starting point and comprehensive overview of the topic "Mongolian Knowledge Society" to which I can link subtopics that flesh out certain points. It can also be my guinea pig to experiment working with formating and whatever other issues I'll need to figure out.

I have edited one article on the ACMS site so far on Education for Blind and Visually Impaired Students. I happened to know of a news story about a "speaking library," so I contributed that information. But I couldn't figure out how to make a hyperlinked reference, something that will be important to figure out considering the nature of the work I am doing.

No comments: