Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Series of Connections

So, my progress has not been nearly as good as I expected or hoped. I've been giving a lot of thought to my approach to composing entries. As you can see in previous posts I've already changed my mind in one respect: going from a "starting with one master entry on the Knowledge Society that branches out to smaller articles approach" to a "smaller articles that will build up to the master entry approach." Now I have also decided, since it is starting to happen anyhow, that one of the most effective approaches will be to work on multiple entries concurrently. If I establish a network of basic articles that roughly cover the topics I intend to write about I should be able to save time citing sources, especially using the tag and search features on Zotero (where I am compiling my sources). Besides, I figure that even the most rudimentary of entries is more likely to invite other author's contributions when the project goes "live".

My work to this point has given me a new appreciation for the amount of effort, and collective time, that must be behind well-written (and referenced) Wikipedia articles. I suppose browsing their history can give you a similar idea. Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but it appears that the most effective contributions to wiki resources are ongoing and long-term.

I've offered myself up for adoption on Wikipedia. It is a program that pairs experienced users with those who have less. I'm hoping to find someone with helpful article development tips.

My newest entries:
Internet service providers
Landline phones
Fiber-optic connections

No comments: