Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Week Three: Getting Some Momentum

So I've changed my mind. Posting a larger article on the Knowledge Society and then working out to smaller articles doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore. 1) The paper I was going to crib from isn't really written in a way that is appropriate to an encyclopedic resource, and 2) fleshing out the individual subheadings for a knowledge society, as listed below (and as Brian encouraged me to do), then connecting them in a larger article towards the end of this internship seems like a better chronology to follow.

Here are the first two entries started by me last week:
Mongolian Script
Literacy

There is something weird going on with the Literacy entry that I can't figure out. For some reason the references have been inserted inbetween two paragraphs even thought hey are not written that way in the code. I butted heads with this glitch too long last week. It's probably going to be something simple that I'm just overlooking. It makes me wonder if there is a wiki-script validator out there like they have for HTML. The other thing that would be handy is a script writer that color coded the sections as you wrote them, like they have for HTML. I'll have to poke around for those when I have some time.

As of right now I would like to challenge myself to doing about three articles per day for the next few weeks. I realize that some articles will require more time than others, but I would really like to get this wiki fleshed out more. The main thing I need to emphasize to myself is that the articles do not need to be perfect, that is part of the beauty of a wiki, right? Where you don't have all the info others can help fill it in. I would like to have good and plentiful citations however. I think that this reference resource will differ some from Wikipedia in that it should be able to guide scholars to resources in addition to providing quick information.

I'm continuing to learn more about wikis as I go too. Last week I got two books from area libraries to learn more. The first one I looked at was Using Interactive Technologies in Libraries, which turned out not to be very helpful. It mainly covered things I already knew or how examples of how libraries are approaching wiki technology. The other book I got, Wiki: Web Collaboration, looks like it will be much more useful. It is fairly in-depth and easy to find information in. It can also be fun to read a book written in English by German authors.

2 comments:

Louise Stevens Robbins said...

Gabe, I looked at literacy, and it looks fine, so I can't figure out what you think is wrong.

This is my first chance to look in on your work.

(BTW, we didn't get to go to TongWei because of aftershocks. A young man who works with the Yi minority in Beijing has the project--because he GOT IT! I will get another copy to send to Faith.)

Gabe said...

Yeah, Brian figured it out. Turns out I had "/" in the wrong place. It's fixed now though.

Good to see the project will go somewhere. Some of us in the group were concerned that the earthquake would ruin everything.